»

torsdag 30 oktober 2008

Fear no evil....

This week I was out on a hike for the first time in years. Tuesday afternoon we started our hike with about 15kilos on our backs and 3 dogs. 1 husky, 1 GSD and 1 mutt puppy.
We walked through the rain about an hour and joked about the fact that we were being followed by a rainbow - Gods promis that we were never going to have to do this again. Not that anyone was forcing us but anyhow.
After hiking for about 2 hours it started getting dark and we found a good spot to set up camp. We didn't get a clear sight of how the campsite looked like but in the dim light it seemed perfect.
We pitched the tent and started a fire. My hiking partner had shot a hare earlier and started to clean and skin it. At about seven thirty we heard strange growling noises from the dark woods and realized that it wasn't the dogs that were making them. Remembering something I had read I understood that it was a wild boar. Let me tell you that this usually cocky young woman was not so cocky right then and there. We felt pretty small hiding behind our tent. we decided to climb the nearest tree for safty and call someone who could tell us what to do? Thank God for cell phones!
The answer was the usual.. "he's probably more scared of you then you are of it."
- Great, and thats reasuring when I'm sitting in a tree in the middle of some dark woods. Who cares how scared the stupid boar is? I'm about to piss my pants!!
And everyone knows that frightend animals are the most dangerous. My partner climbed down, but I decided to stay a while longer. In my tiny twig of a tree I felt somewhat safe. Who new that hiking and camping could bring you so close to wildlife?? Well, while my romantic and charming idea of camping was quickly leaving my mind being replaced with the true scenario of "your on your own kid." I finelly climb down from the tree.. wishing with my whole heart that the hare my friend had shot would just magicaly disapear so the boar could look elsewere for food. The dogs didn't even seem fazed that our very lives were being threatend - I should probably add that we didn't hear the boar anymore that night. I just couldn't calm down though, I was praying and singing worship songs. God just kinda reminded me - "Your not so tuff without 4 sturdy walls around ya, are ya?!" - "Yeah, you ain't seen nothin yet, you should check out the bears I've created.." Ok God, riencheck on that one :)
I looked everywhere for comfort - I called friends and I called my dad, nothing seemed to fade my fears. In that moment I realized - All I had was Jesus. No one else was going to save me. No one else could.
I had no other comfort. Sure this was the kind of storm you just have to ride it out. But still was God preparing me for more situations like this. I was looking forward to spending more time with my awsome God, I knew that this hike was going to draw me nearer to Jesus. Sitting there by the fire straining my eyes to the max to try to see into the woods after the beast that had frightened me up a tree, I realized that this was me learning to trust Christ. He was not going to let anything happen to me and I had no choice but to trust him. Also the "things aren't what they seem" lesson was also being learned.

0 kommentarer: